[JPL] Paris

Phillip Greenlief pgsaxo at pacbell.net
Sat Jun 9 20:27:45 EDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
On Behalf Of EdBride at aol.com
To: jazzproglist at jazzweek.com
Subject: Re: [JPL] Paris

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It strikes me that this may be a mentally ill person, and we've been
having
fun at her expense. Since I contributed to this sorry thread (which
seemed
like a good idea at the time, but then the week unfolded...), I
apologize, and
hope we can put an end to it.

Ed

PG:
I appreciate the humanity of your statement. I have no idea whether or
not she's sick or healthy. I don't think about her at all really, that's
how I deal with things that are meaningless.

To play devil's advocate, I would ask if you think she'd show you (or
jazz, or jazz fans, or jazz enthusiasts, or jazz radio programmers,
musicians, etc.) the same respect. Of course her bad behavior should
never really advocate or rationalize more bad behavior.

It seemed like a playful missive we all responded to - more so than any
other post in recent weeks that I can think of. That sort of says
something. I'm not sure what, perhaps that folks like to pick on others
when they're down. Again, I don't know what her situation is - I try to
ignore faces and text that stare out at me from the covers of the
tabloids when I'm in line at the supermarket. I think I remember in
recent weeks she was in "some sort of trouble", either with the law or
drug abuse, or something...but again, I don't place much stock in her
well being - there are other people I'm more concerned with: my
students, my friends, my community. It's really easy to take a poke at
someone like her (overtly wealthy), especially when so many of us that
work hard devoting our lives to an art form get so little financial
compensation for that work. It's always a struggle not to let the
inhumanity of others rub off on your self.

So, thanks for reminding us she's a human being, and that there are
probably better uses for our time.