[JPL] Hello and a major query

Linda Yohn lyohn at emich.edu
Tue Jun 12 14:47:07 EDT 2007

Hi everyone,

I apologize for not participating very much of late.  I have had a lot
on my plate at WEMU.  But, I get the impression that is life for all
of us as we work in this multi-tasking, multi-competition media age.

The question I am about to ask will show you how much I do not know
about late '80s and '90s pop music, but it is a question I have to
ask.  What do you think was the basic pop sound of that era and what
jazz today recalls that sound?  We are trying very hard to attract new
listeners to WEMU.  At this time, covers of The Beatles and Motown
songs might not be attractive to someone who came up in 1988.  But,
WEMU wants that person who came up in 1988 to listen to us for jazz.

We know that the BEST classics will always be attractive because of
their timeless quality.  But, what jazz that is being recorded today
might be sonically attractive to someone who is 35 or 40?

I'm willing to get flamed for this question, but I must ask it.  I ask
it so that I can keep WEMU on the air as a jazz and primarily music
station.

Feel free to correspond off the list if you prefer.

Thanking Ed for continuing with the list, with the JazzWeek chart and
thanking him for his great work with the JazzWeek summits.
Remembering many of you fondly from those meetings....

Linda

Linda Yohn
WEMU Music Director
lyohn at emich.edu