[JPL] Hello and a major query

EdBride at aol.com EdBride at aol.com
Tue Jun 12 15:14:43 EDT 2007

In a message dated 6/12/2007 2:50:53 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
lyohn at emich.edu writes:

<<..We know that the BEST classics will always be attractive  because of
their timeless quality.  But, what jazz that is being  recorded today
might be sonically attractive to someone who is 35 or  40?

I'm willing to get flamed for this question, but I must ask  it.  I ask
it so that I can keep WEMU on the air as a jazz and  primarily music
station..>>

I think we'd ALL want to know that. Programmers, producers, event sponsors,
etc. I would start with Gordon Goodwin, who is rather pop-ish but with a solid
 grounding in Jazz performance, good soloists, terrific ensemble writing and
playing.

Also, you might find some interesting melodies and emotional singing in
another Jazz-friendly pop group, Pink Martini; although their most recent  release
doesn't do much for me, "Hey Eugene" is great fun. Hook them on Pink
Martini, add a touch of Diana Krall (thanks in part to the new TV commercial),  and
throw-in some Bad Plus, for the other end of the spectrum. All very current,
but sufficiently Jazz-friendly that some new fans could be developed around
material like this.

Ed