[spam] RE: [JPL] Hello and a major query

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Tue Jun 12 16:43:29 EDT 2007

I wonder if covers are the best, if most obvious approach.  Perhaps a
cover tune might momentarily be noticed when tuning across the dial,
but if they're a Radiohead fan, wouldn't they rather hear Radiohead
instead of some jazz group messing with it?  If that's the case,
they'll probably spend their time with a station that plays Radiohead
or their iPod.

It's not exactly analogous to the Great American Songbook when a few
composers wrote songs everybody sang and played.  Since most all pop
groups today do their own music,  "cover band" has become a derogatory
term used to dismiss a band as having little significance.  I wonder if
fans of rock bands want to hear jazz covers of their favorite bands.
Is it maybe the band's sound they're interested in and not the tunes
per se?

On the other hand, young jazz musicians who grew up with rock might
tend to create new original music that their peers would relate to more
than Gershwin, Kern and Ellington - or even the Beatles, which was
their parents'  music!

It's an interesting question, but I'm so out of touch with pop music
from the past twenty years I wouldn't recognize most cover tunes... or
maybe I just wouldn't remember them.   It's all new to me!    My
younger son Barrett is the drummer in Kinski  www.kinski.net  touring
internationally and recording for Sub-Pop.  They're just back from an
Arena tour through the South with Tool.  I'll interview him on Father's
Day!

Jim Wilke
Jazz After Hours, PRI
www.jazzafterhours.org