[spam] RE: [JPL] Hello and a major query

EdBride at aol.com EdBride at aol.com
Tue Jun 12 17:40:39 EDT 2007

In a message dated 6/12/2007 4:45:38 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jwilke123 at comcast.net writes:

<<..I wonder if covers are the best, if most obvious  approach.  Perhaps a
cover tune might momentarily be noticed when  tuning across the dial,
but if they're a Radiohead fan, wouldn't they  rather hear Radiohead
instead of some jazz group messing with it?  If  that's the case,
they'll probably spend their time with a station that  plays Radiohead
or their iPod..>>

By my definition (which admittedly is not definitive), a "cover band" is  one
that plays the original arrangements. If a Jazz group is "messing with it,"
then it's an adaptation. Linda Ronstadt covered Frank Sinatra's torch songs
like  "What's New," they were essentially the same arrangements. But take out
Kenton's  Contemporary Concepts, and those are hardly covers of "What's New" or
"Stompin' at the Savoy".

This is just a nit to pick, in the context of the larger thread, which is a
pretty interesting one,
Ed