[JPL] Jeru: In the Words of Gerry Mulligan, an Oral Autobiography (Library o

Lazaro Vega wblv.wblu.fm at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 09:36:52 EDT 2007

Hey now,

Len, that second idea sounds good. Have done a similar set with "What
Is This Thing Called Love." There's "Hot House" with Bird and Diz;
"Subconscious-Lee" by Konitz, though Warne Marsh's version on "All
Music" is one of the great improvisations on those changes; and then
there's a composition by Bobby Porcelli on the Charlie Rouse -- Red
Rodney recording "Social Call" that's based on those changes, called
"Greenhouse." I think the set began with Billie Holiday singing the
number. One could include the Brown/Roach version, too, and the set is
stretching towards an hour.

The version of "I Can't Believe That You're In Love With Me" with
Benny Carter is probably the one recorded by Coleman Hawkins's
"Chocolate Dandies" for Commodore. I've pulled those records you
mentioned. Will probably start it with Joe Williams and the Basie band
so listeners can hear the words and then get off into it. Great idea.
LV