[JPL] Hello and a major query in E-flat

Mitchell Feldman MitchellFeldman at Comcast.net
Thu Jun 14 08:25:34 EDT 2007

Hi Group & Goomba Dick -

I heartily second the suggestions about Donald Fagen / Steely Dan.
My radio program is called "Jazz Without Borders" and I have played
the title tracks from "Aja" (just yesterday Ed Trefzger and I were
talking about Steve Gadd's playing at the end of that tune) and "Two
Against Nature" (that CD features Chris Potter) as well as other Dan
tunes.  Santana has music from the early 70s days when Tom Coster was
in the band that are jazzy (on Borboletta, Caravanserai and let's not
forget the version of "A Love Supreme" he did with McLaughlin).  It's
called by another name but they did a version of Pharoah Sanders
"Astral Traveling" that was so identical to the original that I once
played both tracks (LPs) at the same time potted up and alternated
potting one or the other up and down and one could never tell the
difference.  I also play some Prince (check out "Strolling" on
Diamonds & Pearls).  I've played the Allman Brothers live version of
"In Memory of Elizabeth Reed".  There is a lot of instrumental "rock"
out there with tremendous improvisations.  Heck, were it not for the
Grateful Dead, Santana, Allman Brothers, Hot Tuna, Eric Clapton's
Layla I never wound have discovered jazz (through the fusion door).

Mitchell
[JPL] Hello and a major query in E-flat

Dick LaPalm dlpjazz at thegrid.net
Wed Jun 13 18:17:35 EDT 2007