[JPL] Special Features next week on XM 72 Beyond Jazz

davispro at nyc.rr.com davispro at nyc.rr.com
Thu Jun 14 09:56:11 EDT 2007

XM 72…BEYOND JAZZ/WEEKLY FEATURES   (18-24 June 2007)

This Monday, June 18th, we’ll present another edition of our special feature…MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on Beyond Jazz featuring an hour of the music of one of the most versatile figures in modern jazz, MARCUS MILLER! You’ll hear a full hour of some of his latest work including the Grammy-winning release “M2,” his official live bootleg “The Ozell Tapes” and his contribution to the salute to Jaco Pastorius, “Word Of Mouth Revisited.” He’s a composer, producer of artists like Grover Washington, Jr., David Sanborn & Miles Davis and one of the greatest bassists in Modern Jazz. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS every Monday at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 11 PM Eastern/8 PM Pacific, and this week we put the spotlight on MARCUS MILLER.

This week enjoy another edition of our show JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION! hosted by Michelle Sammartino...an hour of jamband jazz, acid jazz, brass band, swamp boogie, funk influenced, booty movin' tunes. Listen for JAMMIN’ JAZZ three times each week…Tuesday night at 9P Eastern-6P Pacific, Thursday morning at 9A/Eastern-6A Pacific, and Sunday at 7P/Eastern-4P Pacific. This week Michelle features Acid Jazz from The Baby Buddha Heads & Us3, plus new music from Mocean Worker, Bonerama and Billy Martin & John Medeski!

This week, join us for KEYBOARDS AROUND THE WORLD on LIVE @ BJ'S! Every Wednesday night at 11 PM Eastern/8 PM Pacific and Sunday at 8 PM Eastern/5 PM Pacific you can spend an hour in the world's only imaginary modern jazz club, BJ's, for rare live performances by the biggest stars of Modern Jazz.  You'll hear music you can't hear anywhere but on XM, and this week we’ll take you literally all over the globe to hear four great keyboardists give inspired performances. You’ll hear Chick Corea and the 1973 edition of Return To Forever with a rare, live version of the classic “Spain.” Then we’ll enjoy the late Michel Petrucciani with an all-star cast including Lenny White, Marcus Miller, Kenny Garrett and others live in Paris in 2003, Then it’s the Marc Cary Trio Live at City Hall Park in New York City, and to top it all off, we’ll head to Tokyo to hear the great George Duke get uber-funky for the kids in 1983. It’s KEYBOARDS AROUND THE WORLD on this week’s addition of LIVE @ BJ'S!

IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION!  Every Friday we present an exclusive Beyond Jazz feature that focuses on the moment in jazz history when the music became electric and all the musical influences of the world blended with jazz to create the Fus ion Era. Each hour beginning at 7 AM Eastern/4 AM Pacific until midnight Eastern/9 PM Pacific you’ll hear a classic fusion piece and get the mojo behind this controversial era in jazz history. IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION!

THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN! This weekend Beyond Jazz presents another edition of "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN!” Join the newest voice on Beyond Jazz, award-winning presenter, producer and writer Mark Ruffin in our studios in Chicago as he covers the many aspects of the world of modern jazz from his perspective.  Listen twice each weekend for THE MOJA REPORT , Saturday mornings at 11 AM Eastern/8 AM Pacific, just before Words & Music begins, and Sunday nights at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, part of the Sunday Specials. It’s "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN,” and on this week’s edition Mark presents another edition of his feature “Under The Radar” as he puts the spotlight on deserving artists like Robert Baglione, Nick Moran, Dean Schmidt and JC & The Jazz Hoppers.

This Saturday, June 23rd, we'll present another edition of our weekly feature WORDS & MUSIC on BEYOND JAZZ that takes a look at one of the most interesting trends in modern jazz with a special presentation titled “ROOTS-JAZZ: A NEW FUSION.” Who are the artists who are playing traditional instruments like the banjo, fiddle, dobro and guitar and creating this new form of MOJA?  We’ll find out, as Michelle Sammartino talks with Jamie Masefield of Jazz Mandolin Project, XM’s Bob Edwards joins us to speak with Bela Fleck and Russ Davis talks to Bill Evans about his Grammy-nominated release “Soul-Grass.” Interview segments followed by music will begin each hour from Noon through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific).  It's “ROOTS-JAZZ: A NEW FUSION” on WORDS & MUSIC, Saturday from BEYOND JAZZ.

Every Sunday it’s the EMAIL REPLY HOUR…from 6-7 PM Eastern/3-4 PM Pacific, Russ Davis spends an hour responding to email messages by playing requested s ongs, answering listener questions and reading listener comments that have been emailed to him at beyondjazz at xmradio.com.

Russ Davis
Program Director
Beyond Jazz
XM Satellite Radio