[JPL] Hello and a major query in E-flat

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Thu Jun 14 12:35:57 EDT 2007

EVERY generation's favorite music is the music of its youth.  Morning
Edition today celebrated the Monterey Pop Festival and the beginning of
the Summer of Love in 1967 (two years before Woodstock).

THAT WAS FORTY YEARS AGO!   If you were 20 when you were listening to
Mamas and the Papas, Jimi Hendrix, & Janis Joplin, that means you're a
geezer now in the eyes of someone in their twenties today.  (no
offense, I'm even older.)

Your favorite music of the 60s and 70s is probably not going to relate
to today's twenty-somethings any more than Glen Miller and Benny
Goodman related to a Bebopper in 1947 or Coltrane's audience in 1967.
The best pop and jazz is a product of its time, and you can't bring
back the Beatles any more than you can bring back Glenn Miller or the
Original Dixieland Jass Band.

Wouldn't it be better to pay more attention to young musicians
producing new music that relates to an audience of their peers?  One
should still include so called "classic" jazz but be careful about
programming the favorites of your youth if they're not true jazz
milestones.

Jim