[JPL] Yoshi's Pulls Anniversary CD Due to Lack of Racial Diversity in Artist Roster

Jackson, Bobby Bobby.Jackson at ideastream.org
Thu Jun 14 12:58:35 EDT 2007

How does this happen....(over and over and over again)?

Bobby Jackson
WCPN-FM/Cleveland, OH

According to a recent article in the San Francisco Chronicle, the famed
jazz club Yoshi's in Oakland, Calif., has pulled the release of its 10th
anniversary CD, Live at Yoshi's: Anniversary Compilation, due to the
absence of African-American artists on the disc.
Yoshi's undertook the project in March with a short deadline in May to
commemorate the club's tenth anniversary. As a result, club owner Kaz
Kajimura and artistic director Peter Williams hastily assembled the
album from recordings of live performances at Yoshi's. "We really messed
up on the CD," Kajimura told the Chronicle. "We apologize to anyone who
feels slighted by this omission, as that was never our intention."
Before the disc hit store shelves, about 500 of the 1,000 records were
sold online at the club's Web site. Eventually, complaints started
pouring in that the CD lacked racial diversity.
The Yoshi's incident is now causing Bay Area residents to question the
lack of African-American performers at this summer's Downtown Berkeley
Jazz Festival.
For more information and to read the Chronicle article in its entirety,
visit sfgate.com.