[JPL] Yoshi's Pulls Anniversary CD Due to Lack of RacialDiversity in Artist Roster

Phillip Greenlief pgsaxo at pacbell.net
Thu Jun 14 15:34:27 EDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
On Behalf Of Lloyd Townsend, Jr.
Subject: Re: [JPL] Yoshi's Pulls Anniversary CD Due to Lack of
RacialDiversity in Artist Roster
This Week's JPL Sponsor: The New JazzWeek
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I don't know -- maybe they weren't thinking about RACE, but about MUSIC?

Isn't that the goal?

PG:
Sure, but when you have people like McCoy, Johhny Griffin, Bobby
Hutcherson, Elvin Jones (one of his last shows was there, he played
there regularly - if I were programming this CD, I would have made a
point to put him on there - if nothing else, to honor his memory and his
GREAT MUSIC), Shirley Horn, Nicolas Payton, Kenny Burrell, Nancy Wilson,
Joshua Redmond, Branford, and countless other great black musicians
playing there, why wouldn't you put at least one selection of THAT MUSIC
on the disc?

I'm not sure where you're coming from in your post - are you saying that
these folks aren't making great MUSIC? (just echoing your upper-case
insertion here...)