[JPL] 18 YEAR OLD JAZZ SINGING WAITRESS TO SIGN MILLION DOLLARRECORDING CONTRACT

Phillip Greenlief pgsaxo at pacbell.net
Thu Jun 14 15:50:58 EDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
On Behalf Of Eric Jackson
Subject: Re: [JPL] 18 YEAR OLD JAZZ SINGING WAITRESS TO SIGN MILLION
DOLLARRECORDING CONTRACT

This Week's JPL Sponsor: The New JazzWeek

Relaunching this summer

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thursday 14 June 2007 02:56:28 pm Phillip Greenlief wrote:

> I mean, Tony Williams was only 19 when he started playing with Miles,
> right? So I guess there is a precedent. But somehow I don't get the
> feeling she has Tony's talent.

Don't forget that Tony had already played with Jackie McLean before he
joined
Miles. Jackie went to Tony's mother and asked her if Tony could join his

band. Tony also had been play around town with excellent musicians. He
often
played with Sam Rivers and I'm pretty sure he was the house drummer at
one of
the clubs here in Boston where he played with many different artists as
they
came through town.

This is like those athletes when they get out of college and sign for
outrageous amounts of money. They haven't played a second in the big
leagues.
My guess is that the record company will put her through a rigorous
campaign
of artist development. Translate that to say they will cultivate the
image of
her in the €800 dress and then promote her like crazy.

Tony's biggest gig before he joined Miles was certainly bigger than a
wedding!

Eric Jackson

PG:
That was my point, Eric (although largely unstated). Tony, at 19, was
already on the scene and making things happen (yes, I'm aware of his
early career - I love "spring" - and fuchsia swing song - both are
fantastic records!).

The story about this young lady reads like one minute she's a waitress,
the next minute big labels are fighting over her...

My other (unstated) point was that I wonder if we will remember her in
50 years the way we remember Tony now...