[JPL] MySpace

Brian T Dwyer btd220 at nyu.edu
Fri Jun 15 13:05:32 EDT 2007

I was about to mention Facebook.  Although it doesn't allow you to stream music, it is becoming a mutated MySpace, recently
adding the feature like Top Friends and becoming open to evryone, not just college students.  You no longer need a college
email address or a college network to sign up.  The point is, there are Facebook users that are now 5 years out of college and if
you want to reach the younger market, which seems like the best way to keep these late-night, cheap jazz clubs alive (you
know, the ones like Tonic that are fading quick), you have to get your name out on Facebook.  They will be streaming music
soon, I guarantee it.  What's nice though is facebook is not filled with all the clutter and spam of myspace.  None of those ads
in the comments and no seizure inducing backgrounds.  It's a very direct route to jazz fans, or music fans.  And just imagine if
it last even 4 more years, where you can really introduce yourself to a more defined market, ages 16-30.  I don't mean it to
come off as to businessy, but it's a great way to cultivate a healthy love of jazz in a younger generation, which I'm a part of.

Brian