[JPL] MySpace

Phillip Greenlief pgsaxo at pacbell.net
Fri Jun 15 15:08:28 EDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
On Behalf Of Jae Sinnett
Sent: Friday, June 15, 2007 10:05 AM
To: Jazz Programmers Mailing List
Subject: Re: [JPL] MySpace

This Week's JPL Sponsor: The New JazzWeek

Relaunching this summer

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hmmm....well I wasn't talking about what 12th graders do with the
service or why it might be going away soon. The point is totally missed.
I was referring to the professionals that are on it that use it for a
very easy networking tool and the obvious advantages for those that
would venture to use the service. Nothing cumbersome about it.

PG:
I'm with Jae on this one. I don't care if high school students are on it
or not (but I teach at a high school in Oakland, and sure enough a lot
of my students are "MS friends", and they use the performance calendar
to find out where I'm playing...and they come to the shows).

I mainly use it to network with other musicians. I know lots of folks
seem to think that it's just for teenagers, but I've hooked up with
musicians from all over the place with MySpace: Iceland, Norway,
Israel...places where I haven't played and don't know all that much
about what's going on in any of those "scenes". So now I've become aware
of players in other regions not otherwise easily accessible. It also
allows me to hear what some musicians sound like - people whose names
I've heard, but have never heard their music.

I have one profile for my record label (Evander Music) and another for a
group I work with. It takes time, for sure, to keep things
current...especially since I have a label with 45 releases on
it...there's a lot to keep up with. But it seems like a good way to get
the word out.

My new duo release with Joelle Leandre has received more than 1,200 hits
on the player, so I have to think that a lot of people that were
wondering what that recording might sound like have had a taste. It
seems to help with CD sales and it has enabled me to get some gigs
(France, Berlin, Italy, etc.). It also works to help promote concerts.
On an east coast tour last November, several people who would not have
known about me received a gig notice on MySpace and they came to my
show. They wouldn't have known about it otherwise...they came to the
show, having heard the band on the player, and we generated some new
fans.