[JPL] Yoshi's Pulls Anniversary CD Due to Lack of

Benjamin Boddie bfboddie at msn.com
Tue Jun 19 18:04:49 EDT 2007

George,

What a tremendous privilege and responsibility we have as jazz programmers/announcers; keeping the listener base growing while honoring past jazz masters, acknowledging the masters of today and introducing future masters is a balancing act that requires a conscious sense of humility, fairness and a dedicated love for the music.  It is obvious that you have mastered the system and understand the mission.  Congratulations for your 35 years as keeper of the flame in your community.

>From the day I got my first music call many years ago (it was Duke), I have approach programming from the position of teamwork with artist and their representatives on current releases.   Classics and recurrent CD's are a part of the mix; however the emphasis is on currents.  If the product works (I do know how to say no) then I buy into the marketing plan for that product.  I want my listeners to hear the music that they read about in reviews, I want them to hear the music of artist who are in the media promoting their new releases, I want them to know who they want to see live when the opportunity permits and I really enjoy seeing a product that I believe in go to the top of the charts.   This is not saying that a product worthy of airplay that doesn't have representatives will not get play - they will.  However, it takes all of us working together to help with the success of an artist.

Keep listening!

Ben

Sunday Jazz Matinee/WSHA FM 88.9