[JPL] BSU Radio Replaces Jazz Format with News, Talk

Doug Crane dcrane at comcast.net
Wed Jun 20 01:44:02 EDT 2007

It would be one thing to casually dismiss the format change at Boise
State Radio if the jazz AM station was the only public radio outlet
in Boise.  But it's not.  Far from it.

In addition to the AM station, Boise State operates two FM
outlets.  One is dedicated to classical music.  Most, if not all of
its programming is sourced from the joint venture between LA's KUSC
and Colorado Public Radio, the Classical Public Radio Network
(CPRN).  The other station is strictly news/talk.  Some of that very
same programming will be heard on the soon-to-be-less-jazz AM station
albeit at different air times.

If memory serves correctly, much of the production work for CPRN as
well as JazzWorks is performed at the facilities of Boise State
Radio.  Virtually all of the jazz programming heard on the AM signal
originates from JazzWorks.  Is there anything that can be read into
the reduction of jazz programming in Boise other than the format
change?  What does it say when one of the flagship stations in the
JazzWorks world loses so much airtime for its very own
programming?  And daytime programming at that?

I'd be curious to know if Boise State Radio considered using their
2nd HD channels on each of their FM frequencies to retain their
current jazz programming and add the additional news/talk
schedule.  (And yes, they ARE broadcasting in HD.  I checked their
website.)  This gesture might have gone a long way in saying to the
Boise area jazz audience that they had not been forsaken.  It would
also have demonstrated to other stations currently airing JazzWorks
programming that it's going to be around awhile.

And as the jazz programming was already in place, what would have
been the additional cost to Boise State Radio to turn on the 2nd HD channel?

Doug Crane
KUVO Denver  89.3 FM
Wednesdays 7-9 PM
dcrane at comcast.net

And then I had this dream that my whole family were just cartoon
characters and our success had led to some crazy propaganda network
called Fox News.
--Bart Simpson