[JPL] Special Events Next Week on XM 72 Beyond Jazz

davispro at nyc.rr.com davispro at nyc.rr.com
Thu Jun 21 09:26:22 EDT 2007

XM 72…BEYOND JAZZ/WEEKLY FEATURES   (25 June - 1 July 2006)

BEYOND JAZZ @ THE MONTREAL JAZZ FESTIVAL! For 9 days each Summer, the beautiful city of Montreal shakes off the cold-weather blues and brings on the hottest jazz from all over the world for possibly the world’s greatest jazz event…the Festival International De Jazz De Montreal…and this year XM 72 BEYOND JAZZ will take you there!  Beginning on the first day of the festival, Thursday, June 28th , Russ Davis will report direct from the festival site in the center of the city.  You’ll hear from the artists who’ll be performing this year including John Scofield, Mike Stern, Medeski, Martin & Wood, The Yellowjackets, The Bad Plus, Joshua Redman, Billy Cobham and many more and get a flavor of what the atmosphere is like at a festival that features 500 concerts including 350 free shows for a quarter of a million people in the place they call “The City of Festivals.”  It’s BEYOND JAZZ @ THE MONTREAL JAZZ FESTIVAL this week on XM 72!

This Monday, June 25th, we’ll celebrate the birthday of another of the living masters of jazz as we present another edition of our special feature…MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on Beyond Jazz featuring an hour of the music of one of the great bassist, composer and bandleader, STANLEY CLARKE! Known as the innovator that almost single-handedly brought the bass to prominence as a lead instrument, STANLEY CLARKE’S  varied musical life has included not only solo work but collaborations with Return To Forever, George Duke, The Rite of Strings project with Al Di Meola & Jean-Luc Ponty and others and we’ll cover it all.  Plus, we’ll also hear Stanley’s own comments that shed light on his brilliant career. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS every Monday at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 11 PM Eastern/8 PM Pacific, and this week it’s STANLEY CLARKE in the spotlight.

This week enjoy another edition of our show JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION hosted by Michelle Sammartino...an hour of jamband jazz, acid jazz, brass band, swamp boogie, funk influenced, booty movin' tunes. Listen for JAMMIN’ JAZZ three times each week…Tuesday night at 9P Eastern-6P Pacific, Thursday morning at 9A/Eastern-6A Pacific, and Sunday at 7P/Eastern-4P Pacific. This week Michelle features some of her favorite groups like Mike Dillon’s Go Go Jungle, Up Bustle & Out and The Greyboy Allstars, as well as more new Mocean Worker, Medeski & Martin and a cool John Scofield classic featuring MM&W.

This week we celebrate what is possibly the world’s greatest jazz festival with a live performance by possibly the world’s most famous jazz man as we present MILES DAVIS LIVE IN MONTREAL-1985 on LIVE @ BJ'S ! Every Wednesday night at 8 PM Pacific/11 PM Eastern and Sunday at 8 PM Eastern/5 PM Pacific you can spend an hour in the world's only imaginary modern jazz club, BJ's, for rare live performances by the biggest stars of Modern Jazz.  You'll hear music you can't hear anywhere but on XM, and this week we’ll take you to  The Festival International de Jazz de Montreal  and back in time to hear Miles with John Scofield on guitar, saxophonist Bob Berg, Robert Irving III on keyboards, Daryl Jones on bass. It’s one of Miles’ last great bands heating up the summer night in beautiful Montreal and you are there.  It’s MILES DAVIS LIVE IN MONTREAL-1985, this week’s edition of LIVE @ BJ'S!

IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION!  Every Friday we present an exclusive Beyond Jazz feature that focuses on the moment in jazz history when the music became electric and all the musical influences of the world blended with jazz to create the Fus ion Era. Each hour beginning at 7 AM Eastern/4 AM Pacific until midnight Eastern/9 PM Pacific you’ll hear a classic fusion piece and get the mojo behind this controversial era in jazz history. IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION!

THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN! This weekend Beyond Jazz presents another edition of "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN!” Join award-winning presenter, producer and writer Mark Ruffin in our studios in Chicago as he covers the many aspects of the world of modern jazz from his perspective.  Listen twice each weekend for THE MOJA REPORT , Saturday mornings at 11 AM Eastern/8 AM Pacific, just before Words & Music begins, and Sunday nights at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, part of the Sunday Specials. It’s "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN,” and on this week’s edition Mark plays highlights from the brand new Beyond Jazz Chart and counts down the top 20 for the month of July!

This Saturday, June 30th, is the 56th birthday of one of the greatest bassists in jazz history so we’ll celebrate as we present another edition of our weekly feature WORDS & MUSIC on BEYOND JAZZ titled “HAPPY BIRTHDAY STANLEY CLARKE.” Russ Davis hangs out with Stanley in his L.A. home as well as in XM’s New York studios to talk about his incredible life and career from his beginnings in Philadelphia, his days with Return To Forever, his ground-breaking solo work and his many different projects such as The Rite Of Strings with Al Di Meola and Jean-Luc Ponty! Interview segments followed by music will begin each hour from Noon through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific).  It's “HAPPY BIRTHDAY STANLEY CLARKE” on WORDS & MUSIC, Saturday from BEYOND JAZZ.

Every Sunday it’s the EMAIL REPLY HOUR…from 6-7 PM Eastern/3-4 PM Pacific, Russ Davis spends an hour responding to email messages by playing reques ted songs, answering listener questions and reading listener comments that have been emailed to him at beyondjazz at xmradio.com.

Russ Davis
Program Director
Beyond Jazz
XM Satellite Radio