[JPL] Jazz Portriats

Steve Schwartz steve_schwartz at wgbh.org
Mon Jun 25 08:35:52 EDT 2007

>From 1993-1997 I Produced ten audio Jazz Portraits for radio.
Co=producers Maargot Stage and Margo Melnicove worked on this project with
me.
These were produced under the auspices of The New England Foundation for the
Arts.
The Awards were given to New England based jazz musicians who had achieved
national and international reputations and they had to be involved in jazz
education also.
Two awards were given every year for five years.
I proposed that part of that Award be a radio documentary where you could
hear the artists, in their own voice, talk about their life and music and
hear the music that they talked about. NEFA bought the idea and funded the
project.

Five of those portraits are now up on the WGBH website. They are:

Vocalist Mili Bermejo
Drummer Alan Dawson
Multi-instrumentalist Jimmy Giuffre
Multi-instrumentalist Yusef Lateef
Saxophonist Jackie McLean

The other five will follow soon:

Trumpeter Herb Pomeroy
Composer George Russell
Basssit Avery Sharpe
Saxophonist Archie Shepp
Guitarist Atilla Zoller

 They'll all be up there in perpetuity.

Enjoy listening to these wonderful musicians and educators and New England
residents tell their own stories. It was a very rewarding experience.

Simply go to:

www.wgbh.org/jazz

Click on the link "Jazz Portriats"

Steve Schwartz