[JPL] New Fusion Release is Smokin'!

Bradley M. Stone bstone at science.sjsu.edu
Mon Jun 25 15:53:45 EDT 2007

Rick Calic and the rest of you jazz-rock fusion afficianados will need to check out 23 year old bassist Hadrien Feraud's new disc on Dreyfus. He has been playing with John McLaughlin recently - I believe this is his first as a leader.  Most of the compositions are by Hadrien and brother(?) Gerard.  There is the ususal high-level of technical proficiency and energy expected on a good fusion outing, and some nice compositions as well, with some interesting world influences.  John McLaughlin and Bireli Lagrene lend a hand with some of the guitar work. The comparisons to Weather Report and Jaco will obviously be made.  One of the best jazz-rock fusion releases that I've heard in a long time.

Brad Stone

Dr. Brad Stone, Faculty Advisor
Music Director; Jazz, Blues and World
KSJS-FM
San Jose State University
San Jose, CA   95192-0094

Home Office:
9381 Durango Lane, Gilroy, CA  95020
408-848-6266
bstone at science.sjsu.edu
Music Calls: Weds., 8:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m., PT