[JPL] Are you flying Northwest in June, July and August?

Dr. Jazz drjazz at drjazz.com
Tue Jun 26 10:56:26 EDT 2007

A heads up for anyone planning on flying Northwest (and Continental &
Delta) now through August:

All this weekend, Northwest Airlines has been canceling an inordinate
number of its scheduled flights. On Friday, it cancelled 100 flights, or 7
percent of its schedule. On Saturday, it cancelled 159 flights, or 12
percent of its schedule. The pattern is continuing today, with 59
cancellations already as of 9:15 a.m. EDT.

Most airlines hope to hold cancellations down to 1 or 2 percent, so you can
see that this is a serious matter. If you are scheduled to fly on Northwest
today or in the next week (I'll explain that more fully in a moment),
please be sure to reconfirm before going to the airport. And remember: Some
Delta- and Continental-coded flights are actually code-shares operated by
Northwest, so all you Continental and Delta flyers pay heed, too.

We've heard nothing from Northwest about this, of course. But the airline's
unions have complained for months that the carrier is understaffed and
would not be able to fly its complete schedules this summer. Needless to
say, Northwest has denied the charges, but the proof is in the pudding, or,
in this case, in the cancellations.

Since we are near the end of the month and flight crews are running out of
duty time--the Federal Aviation Administration limits the number of hours
per month a pilot can work--Northwest is clearly facing a crew shortage. It
may be canceling flights this weekend as a way to keep crews available
during the week. Logic would then dictate that next Saturday. June 30,would
be an awful day to fly Northwest. But it may also be that Northwest will be
canceling many flights throughout this entire week.

Again, please check your itineraries carefully, then double check then.
Then be ready for an unpleasant surprise if Northwest cancels you without
warning after you've reached the airport.And for your own safely, I'd
clearly avoid booking Northwest on weekends late in July and August, too.
The same pattern is likely to be repeated then.
-Copyright © 2007 by Joe Brancatelli. JoeSentMe.com

Dr. Jazz
Dr. Jazz Operations
24270 Eastwood
Oak Park, MI  48237