[JPL] Flugel Quest

Phillip Greenlief pgsaxo at pacbell.net
Tue Jun 26 23:54:08 EDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
On Behalf Of Tom Marcello
Subject: Re: [JPL] Flugel Quest

Is Clark Terry early enough?

Some of my favorite players the next generation are:

Jimmy Owens
Thad Jones
Freddie Hubbard
Eddie Henderson

Of this generation, Thomas Marriott is wonderful

Best,
Tom

PG:

I thought I had noticed flugelhorn mentioned on some old Ellington
records, so I went back and sure enough, Rex Stewart (who normally
played cornet) and Cootie Williams are both credited with flugelhorn in
the 1930's...on selected tracks...

The instrument has been around for a while. Here's a Wikpedia entry:

The flugelhorn (also spelled fluegelhorn or flügelhorn) is a brass
instrument resembling a trumpet but with a wider, conical bore. It is
thought by some to be a member of the saxhorn family developed by
Adolphe Sax (who also developed the saxophone); however, other
historians assert that it has been derived from the keyed bugle by
Michael Saurle (father), Munich 1832 (Royal Bavarian privilege for a
"chromatic Flügelhorn" 1832), thus predating Adolphe Sax's innovative
work.