[JPL] Montreal and more next week on XM 72 Beyond Jazz

davispro at nyc.rr.com davispro at nyc.rr.com
Wed Jun 27 09:27:13 EDT 2007

XM 72…BEYOND JAZZ/WEEKLY FEATURES   (2-8 July 2006)

PREMIER SUNDAY on Beyond Jazz…XM 72
Coming up is possibly the most eclectic and international collection of new music we’ve ever featured as we invite you to hear five new releases for the first time this Sunday July 1st, another Premier Sunday here on Beyond Jazz!

First, you’ll hear deep, unique future-jazz that is sonically fascinating  created by three international players. It’s guitarist Nguyen Le, and his new release titled “Homescape.” He recorded it in his home studio in Paris, where he was born of Vietnamese parents, with the help of Italian trumpeter Paolo Fresu and Tunisian artist Dhafer Youssef.  You have never heard anything quite like this.

Then, it’s two vocalists from outside the USA with great, new work. You’ll hear Canadian-born vocalist and pianist Carol Welsman, with help from Jimmy Haslip and Eric Marienthal among others, on her new release simply titled, “Carol Welsman,” followed by a fine and funky collaboration between the legendary Joe Sample and a vocalist/trombonist named Nils Landgren who hails from Sweden but sounds like he’s from Mississippi. Their new CD is titled “Creole Love Call.” It was recorded in New Orleans and let me just warn you…it’s just funky as a bowl of grits.

We’ll top it all off with two new works featuring violin, but with two completely different approaches. First, it’s some new-fusion from Russian-born violinist Joe Denninzon, and his band Stratospheerius turning it on and turning it up on their new one titled “Headspace,”  followed by a more cerebral approach with beats by Daniel Bernard Roumain, aka DBR, joined by DJ Spooky and others for “etudes4violin&electronix.”  Let me put it this way…these two guys aren’t whipping out the old fiddle for a little tune if you know what I mean.

Listen for cuts from these five new releases beginning at 10 PM Eastern/7 PM Pacific, right after THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN on another Premier Sunday…part of The Sunday Specials, from XM 72, Beyond Jazz.

BEYOND JAZZ @ THE MONTREAL JAZZ FESTIVAL! For 9 days each Summer, the beautiful city of Montreal shakes off the cold-weather blues and brings on the hottest jazz from all over the world for possibly the world’s greatest jazz event…the Festival International De Jazz De Montreal…and this week XM 72 BEYOND JAZZ will take you there as Russ Davis continues his reports direct from the festival site in the center of the city.  You’ll hear from the artists who’ll be performing this year including John Scofield, Mike Stern, Medeski, Martin & Wood, The Yellowjackets, The Bad Plus, Joshua Redman, Billy Cobham and many more and get a flavor of what the atmosphere is like at a festival that features 500 concerts including 350 free shows for a quarter of a million people in the place they call “The City of Festivals.”  It’s BEYOND JAZZ @ THE MONTREAL JAZZ FESTIVAL this week on XM 72!

This Monday, July 2nd, we’ll kick off a week-long celebration of the birthday of another of the living masters of jazz as we present another edition of our special feature…MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on Beyond Jazz featuring an hour of the music of one of the great keyboardists, composers and bandleaders, JOE ZAWINUL. As we prepare to celebrate his birthday on Saturday the 7th we’ll enjoy his music from his early work with the likes of Cannonball Adderley and Miles Davis to the seminal fusion supergroup Weather Report and the world-music vision of modern jazz that is his solo work. Plus Joe will give us a look at his tremendous career in his own words. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS every Monday at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 11 PM Eastern/8 PM Pacific, and this week we celebrate the birthday boy, JOE ZAWINUL.

This week enjoy another edition of our show JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION! hosted by Michelle Sammartino...an hour of jamband jazz, acid jazz, brass band, swamp boogie, funk influenced, booty movin' tunes. Listen for JAMMIN’ JAZZ three times each week…Tuesday night at 9P Eastern-6P Pacific, Thursday morning at 9A/Eastern-6A Pacific, and Sunday at 7P/Eastern-4P Pacific. This week Michelle plays some of her favorite supergroups like Garaj Mahal, The Jazz Mandolin Project, The Greyboy Allstars  and much more!

This week, join us for MIKE & JOHN: GUITAR STARS LIVE on LIVE @ BJ'S! Every Wednesday night at 11 PM Eastern/8 PM Pacific and Sunday at 8 PM Eastern/5 PM Pacific you can spend an hour in the world's only imaginary modern jazz club, BJ's, for rare live performances by the biggest stars of Modern Jazz.  You'll hear music you can't hear anywhere but on XM, and this week we’ll give you hot, live performances by the two busiest men at this year’s Montreal Jazz Festival. You’ll hear MIKE STERN, who plays this year with five different groups on 5 nights at the festival, performing cuts from his latest CD “Who Let The Cats Out?” at New York’s City Hall Park, followed by the great JOHN SCOFIELD , who’s playing in Montreal with Medeski, Martin & Wood as well as Trio Beyond, on stage with Joe Lovano, Bill Stewart and Marc Johnson in a great performance from 1991. It’s MIKE & JOHN: GUITAR STARS LIVE on this week’s edition of LIVE @ BJ'S!

THE HISTORY OF FUSION…Wednesday, July 4th… on BEYOND JAZZ!
In celebration of AMERICA’S GREAT HOLIDAY XM 72 Beyond Jazz presents an encore presentation of our four-part series that takes a look at the moment in jazz history when jazz became electric and the music changed forever...The History of Fusion. Join Beyond Jazz Program Director Russ Davis at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific for PART ONE: THE BIRTH OF FUSION featuring Miles Davis, Larry Coryell, Gary Burton, Dave Holland and others followed by PART TWO: THE SUPERGROUPS OF FUSION featuring the music of Weather Report, Return To Forever, The Mahavishnu Orchestra and others. Then you’ll hear PART THREE: THE SOLO STARS OF FUSION with the spotlight on Fusion greats like Herbie Hancock, Jean-Luc Ponty, George Duke and to close it out, PART FOUR: FUSION-THE 2ND  DECADE with a look at Pat Metheny, David Sanborn, The Yellowjackets, The Brecker Brothers, The Crusaders and more. It’s an XM exclusive…THE HISTORY OF FUSION…Wednesday, July 4th from 2-6 PM Eastern/11 AM-3 PM Pacific on BEYOND JAZZ!

Every Friday we present an exclusive Beyond Jazz feature that focuses on the moment in jazz history when the music became electric and all the musical influences of the world blended with jazz to create the Fusion Era. Well, some of the greats of Fusion history are playing this year’s Montreal Jazz Festival so on this week’s edition of IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION we’ll salute them. From 7 AM til Midnight Eastern, that’s 4 AM til 9 PM Pacific, listen as we begin each hour with fusion history from Jack DeJohnette,  Wayne Shorter, The Yellowjackets, Billy Cobham, Dave Holland, Keith Jarrett  and more on this week’s edition of IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION!

THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN! This weekend Beyond Jazz presents another edition of "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN!” Join the newest voice on Beyond Jazz, award-winning presenter, producer and writer Mark Ruffin in our studios in Chicago as he covers the many aspects of the world of modern jazz from his perspective.  Listen twice each weekend for THE MOJA REPORT , Saturday mornings at 11 AM Eastern/8 AM Pacific, just before Words & Music begins, and Sunday nights at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, part of the Sunday Specials. It’s "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN,” and on this week’s edition Mark talks to keyboard superstar Jeff Lorber and plays some unbelievable collaborations, plus the likes of Chick Corea, Freddie Hubbard, Blood, Sweat & Tears, Jaco Pastorius and more!

This Saturday, July 8th, one of the greats of jazz history turns 75 years old, so on this week’s edition of WORDS & MUSIC on BEYOND JAZZ we’ll celebrate that fact with a special presentation titled “HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOE ZAWINUL!” Join Russ Davis as he talks Joe about his beginnings in Austria, his move to America, his work with greats like Miles Davis and Cannonball Adderley, the fusion super-group Weather Report and his great Joe Zawinul Syndicate.   Interview segments followed by music will begin each hour from Noon through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific).  It's “HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOE ZAWINUL” on WORDS & MUSIC, Saturday from BEYOND JAZZ.

Russ Davis
Program Director
Beyond Jazz
XM Satellite Radio