[JPL] Flugel Quest

Lazaro Vega wblv.wblu.fm at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 12:27:50 EDT 2007

One of my favorites is Canada-based Guido Basso.  I have  an out of
  print  copy  of  a beautiful recording he did with bassist Andy
Simpkins,   Frank  Collett on piano and I believe, Terry Clarke on
drums.
  I think he  has a few other recordings under the JustinTime label?

  Marla

Yes -- though he's not well recorded as a leader. Basso was a premier
soloist in Rob McConnell's Boss Brass and is well documented in solo
roles with that big band.

Miles album "Miles Ahead" did it. Before that flugel was around but
not widely used; after that, it became an essential double for
trumpeters (as did soprano after Coltrane's "My Favorite Things"
notwithstanding Bechet, Lacy and Lucky Thompson's soprano playing).

Lazaro Vega
Blue Lake Public Radio