[JPL] Flugel Quest

Bob Crispen - Kenton Site revbob at crispen.org
Wed Jun 27 23:19:32 EDT 2007

The voices are telling me Tom Mallison said on 6/26/2007 11:33 PM:

> I also remember that Maynard Ferguson was using the Flugel Horn back in the
> early 60's.
> I bet some of the Kenton guys used them also.

Indeed. Those of us who thought Marvin Stamm got a really round tone on
his solo on "3x3x2x2x2=72" from the Adventures in Time album should read
the Kenton "Bible" in which it's revealed that he played it on flugel.
All the solo trumpet players in the 1970s Kenton bands played a lot of
flugel.

And nobody around here mentioned Kenny Wheeler? Shame on you! Go play
some Wheeler on your next show for penance.
--
Bob Crispen
http://kenton.crispen.org/

The highest form of execution on a musical instrument is jazz. We know
what we are doing and we know it's the truth, and anything the truth
falls on, it will grind into powder. It just takes time. It takes time.
- Art Blakey