[JPL] a plug for Detroit Highlights

Blaise Lantana blaise.lantana at riomail.maricopa.edu
Thu Jun 28 02:43:42 EDT 2007

Since the Playboy festival isn't being broadcast this year, I think Detroit
could be a good alternative.  I just got the disc and it sounds good with
the smooth Linda Yohn covering the announcing.

The Clayton Brothers are smoking and Dianne Schuur's recording is almost as
good as hearing her live with the Wayne State band, she gets into her
groove, Lou Donaldson gets down with his homeboys, Fathead and Dr. Lonnie
Smith, and I can't even talk about Ahmad Jamal and where he takes you.  A
lot of the acts performed last year when I was there and the sound quality
is clean with that live flavor.

What a treat that festival is! Of course I admit I'm biased, getting out of
110 degree Phoenix in September is almost a necessaty.  Although the 2 hour
CD of the highlights is mainly jazz, the festival itself has a little motown
and a certain flavor that is totally Detroit, where else can you pick up a
mud cloth African dashiki at a festival booth.
Well, not in Arizona.

The cool part is that if you should choose to run the highlights on your
show you have a chance of winning a free ride to Detroit this year, with a
first class hotel and a brunch that you will never forget, I mean it will be
in your top ten jazz festival experiences.  Dwane from NOLA and I had a
blast last year.

I'm going to try to make it again this year, for the music and the
fireworks, that over the top brunch and to see Linda on her home turf.  Good
job on the CD Linda, just cool enough and hot enough, of course.

Blaise Lantana
Music Director
KJZZ Phoenix