[JPL] Talking about flugelists....

Arturo arturo893 at qwest.net
Thu Jun 28 19:52:44 EDT 2007

There are many fine flugelists or is flugelhornists? flugelhorn players?
anyhooo, I always enjoy hearing the under rated multi-instrumentalist Ira
Sullivan blow his flugel. It never ceases to amaze me how easily he changes
from a reed to a horn or the reverse in a single song while maintaining
proficiency on both insturments that require different emboucheres,
fingering and mindset. Ira recorded with Roland Kirk in the beginning of
Kirk's career, today I was reading the liners of a new 2-disc release by
LoneHill Jazz(what a fine re-issue label), Roland Kirk Quartet with Tete
Montoliu, Copenhagen concert-1963 & Newport Jazz '64, and I was smiling at
the many quotes attributed to Roland and later on as Rahsaan, 2 in
particular hit home, "The Creator has blessed me with the ability to play, 2
or 3 lines simultaneously and to play non-stop, but everything I've been
able to get together has usually been considered a gimmick or a trick, this
bugs me. People have found it easy to dismiss the miracle which is my
contribution to the saxophone instead of trying to deal with what's really
involved in it". The other one as Rahsaan is toooooo funnieeeee, "When I die
I want them to play The Black and Crazy Blues, I want to be cremated, put in
a bag of pot and I want beautiful people to smoke me and hope they get
something out of it"  Well, I have sure have gotten a lot of inspiration
from Kirk the man,  overcoming all obstacles to reach his goals and not
letting any physical handicap be an excuse. His life story should be
required reading in high schools across the land.

Arturo