[JPL] Internet Radio/Monday Program

Lazaro Vega wblv.wblu.fm at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 20:54:19 EDT 2007

Yes, how can we program, with any honesty, the music of Duke
Ellington, Louis Armstrong, Billie Holiday, Glenn Miller or any major
musical artist from before the LP era when we're limited as
programmers streaming on the web to only 4 selections by the same
artist in a three hour period (from "The Digital Millennium Copyright
Act")? This music has stood the test of technological advance since
the 1920's and it is still with us. The Dorsey Brothers had more than
200 hit records between them: not just good records, commercially
viable, well known and well loved recordings. Just playing the Frank
Sinatra era with Dorsey yields more than 4 worthwhile songs: how does
one portray the immense contribution these musicians made to our
culture with such a limited number of allowable spins (without being
penalized financially or threatened with removal of the statutory
license to stream)? Now, with the Internet, the 78 rpm era, which
documents some of the most popular and highest quality music America
ever produced, is completely and detrimentally marginalized if this
law were strictly enforced. Radio has always done well by music but
now we're being pinched from the news/bean counter divisions from
within our networks and stations and from big government regulations
from without: what do they have against music? Having the long hand of
goverment reach into a jazz program with these unwelcome limitations
doesn't, really, help the artists as much as playing their music does.

You could see how they defend that.

Lazaro