[JPL] This Brings Tears To My Eyes: Any Suggestions?

JASS jassav at comcast.net
Fri Jun 29 19:27:06 EDT 2007

Hi Larry

We haven't met, Larry; I'm an exercise class friend of Joanie's. I know
you're a jazz guy, so that's why I'm writing. My father, who now lives at
the Marshes, has been a jazz fanatic all his life. He's 92, so of course his
favorite periods were the 30's and 40's, and some of the 50's and the less
"out there" 60's.

When he was preparing to move to the Marshes, he spent a couple of years
burning all his 78's onto CD's (obviously this would be the older stuff; he
started collecting around 1933), so he'd have less to move, and so he could
maybe get rid of that 78 needle that is so hard to replace whenever it wears
out.

Somehow he had met Rob Gibson (Note:  Formally of Jazz at the Lincoln
Center), who put him in touch with another fellow who said he'd help sell
all the 78's on Ebay. He did slowly sell a number of them, and for some
astonishing prices (many of them were in the hundreds of dollars each; I
think maybe one or two in the thousands...to a collector in Japan). But it
turned out this man got too busy with some other projects and just didn't
have the time to keep doing this (he was offering only a couple at a time, I
think), so he has now given back 8 or 9 boxes of records to my father.

Daddy is at a loss as to how to sell them. He thinks one of those
run-of-the-mill Ebay places is kind of a rip-off and also wouldn't know
enough about what they were selling to do them justice. I'm just wondering
if you have any ideas for someone I could put my father in touch with who
might be helpful. I have no idea what's in the boxes, as I'm in Maine (as
are my parents), and the boxes are in their apt. at the Marshes. My parents
will go back to Savannah in late Sept., when this problem will confront them
again.

(Note: Does this sound familiar to anyone?-Larry)  It would be hard for me
to explain how much my father loves jazz. My entire childhood, he would be
downstairs with jazz on the record player from before I woke up in the
morning (6 a.m.) till he left for work, and then the same again in the
evening, till after I went to bed. When there wasn't music on the record
player, he'd be drumming his fingers on something, obviously hearing some
favorite in his head. He has a meticulous filing system for his list of
records, cross-referenced by artists and titles and recording dates. He's
got hearing aids in both ears now, can hardly see, has a pacemaker, and
walks with difficulty (he's had Parkinson's for 10-12 years).

My mother insists he's deaf because when he was in college in Boston, he
went to every jazz club and dance band performance and stood right in front
of the bandstand the whole time. Every house we lived in had to have special
shelves built to hold all his records. (He also has a lot of classical
music.) He's just a really sweet old gentleman, and I wish I could help him
with this, since I live too far away to be much help with all the other
aggravations in my parents' lives.

He cherished his records, and it sort of breaks his heart to think of no one
out there in the world being able to appreciate them as he did. At the same
time, he knows they ought to be worth something, so he hates to just give
them away. Most of these have not been reissued, so they're not available as
33's or CD's.

Well, think it over; I'll be curious to know if you have any suggestions for
us. If you want more detail about exactly what musicians we're talking
about, I doubt we'd know till Oct., when Daddy can look to see what's in the
boxes. He didn't have time before they left Savannah for the summer. I
haven't told him I'm contacting you, since I have no idea if this will
result in anything, and I didn't want to build up his hopes for a solution.

Thanks for your time---I appreciate just your bothering to read all this
yammering on and on....

(Name Withheld)