[JPL] Special Features Next Week on XM 72-Beyond Jazz

davispro at nyc.rr.com davispro at nyc.rr.com
Thu Mar 1 10:12:27 EST 2007

XM 72…BEYOND JAZZ/WEEKLY FEATURES   (5-11 March, 2006)
 This Monday, March 5th, we’ll present another edition of our special feature…MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on Beyond Jazz featuring an hour of the music of the great musical visionary, FRANK ZAPPA. You’ll get the mojo behind the music from two jazz greats who worked with Zappa, Jean-Luc Ponty & George Duke and you’ll hear Zappa’s unique vision of modern jazz from the great composer, guitarist, bandleader and innovator who carved out his own special place in music history. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS every Monday at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday nights at 11 PM Eastern/8 PM Pacific, and this week it’s FRANK ZAPPA!
 This week enjoy another edition of our show JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION hosted by Michelle Sammartino .  What’s it all about?  Well here’s how Michelle describes what you’ll hear on the show…”anything with that "jamband" jazz, acid jazz, brass band, swamp boogie, funk influenced, booty movin' feel that ya just can't hear anywhere else.” Listen for JAMMIN’ JAZZ three times each week…Tuesday night at 9P Eastern-6P Pacific, Thursday morning at 9A/Eastern-6A Pacific, and Sunday at 7P/Eastern-4P Pacific. It’s JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION with Michelle Sammartino !  This week Michelle unleashes a ton of new stuff on you including cuts from the new Will Bernard CD “Party Hats” and some new discoveries  like Times 4, Egg Yolk Jubilee and Scott Amendola!
This week it’s WILD, UNBRIDLED SAX on LIVE @ BJ'S! Every Wednesday night at 11 PM Eastern/8 PM Pacific and Sunday at 8 PM Eastern/5 PM Pacific you can spend an hour in the world's only imaginary modern jazz club, BJ's, for rare live performances by the biggest stars of Modern Jazz.  You'll hear music you can't hear anywhere but on XM, and this week you’ll hear a dream concert by some of the most popular saxophonists to ever pick up the instrument, like Michael Brecker, Candy Dulfer, Karl Denson, Bob Mintzer, Grover Washington, Jr., and more. It’s WILD, UNBRIDLED SAX on this week’s edition of LIVE @ BJ'S!
 It’s a special focus on FRANK ZAPPA, on this week’s edition of IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION!  Every Friday we present an exclusive Beyond Jazz feature that focuses on the moment in jazz history when the music became electric and all the musical influences of the world blended with jazz to create the Fusion Era. This Friday, we’ll celebrate the contribution of one of the most unique and brilliant musical visionaries whose contribution to fusion was immense, probably under-appreciated and greater than even Frank himself acknowledged. Listen for one of his fusion classics to begin each hour from at 7 AM-Midnight Eas tern, that’s 4 AM-9 PM Pacific. It’s FRANK ZAPPA, on this week’s edition of IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION!
THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN! This weekend Beyond Jazz presents another edition of "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN!” Join award-winning presenter, producer and writer Mark Ruffin in our studios in Chicago as he covers the many aspects of the world of modern jazz from his perspective.  Listen twice each weekend for THE MOJA REPORT , Saturday mornings at 11 AM Eastern/8 AM Pacific, just before Words & Music begins, and Sunday nights at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, part of the Sunday Specials. It’s "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN,” and on this week’s edition Mark spends an hour with the talented and beautiful pianist from Azerbaijan via Amsterdam, Amina Figarova, who stops by to chat with Mark and share some of her brilliant music.
 On Saturday, March 10th, Beyond Jazz presents another edition of “WORDS & MUSIC” as we place our MOJA spotlight on some of the greats of modern jazz saxophone with a special presentation we call “ORNETTE AND SONS.” First off, Friday the 9th of March marks the 76th birthday of the great master of Free Jazz, Ornette Coleman , so we figure we’ll talk to him a few times during the day then include comments from some of the young guys like Michael Brecker, Greg Osby, Bob Mintzer, Kenny Garrett, Joshua Redman, Bill Evans and others who have followed in his footsteps.  It all starts at Noon and lasts through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific).  It’s a day spent in celebration of one of the living legends of jazz saxophone and those that have followed. It’s “ORNETTE AND SONS,” the theme of this week’s edition of “WORDS & MUSIC.”
 Every Sunday it’s the EMAIL REPLY HOUR…from 6-7 PM Eastern/3-4 PM Pacific, Russ Davis spends an hour responding to email mes sages by playing requested songs, answering listener questions and reading listener comments that have been emailed to him at beyondjazz at xmradio.com.
 PREMIER SUNDAY on Beyond Jazz…XM 72
This Sunday March 11th will be another Premier Sunday here on Beyond Jazz because the new music just keeps pouring in and we’ve just got to play it for you!
First, it’s two superstars, Pat Metheny & Brad Mehldau with the follow-up to their previous collaboration, this time joined by Brad’s Trio for their new one titled “Quartet.” It’s a collection of 11 new tunes including some writing collaboration between these two greats of Modern Jazz.
 Then, it’s the new sound of London from saxophonist Soweto Kinch and friends with a hard-driving new thing titled “A Life In The Day of B19: Tales Of The Tower Block.”
 You’ll hear some cool, new Latin jazz from California. It’s Alex Garcia’s Afromantra with a blending of Caribbean, Cuban, Hard Bop and more on their new one titled “Uplifting Spirit.”
 Then we’ll close it out with two of Mark Ruffin’s recent discoveries that he played on his “Under The Radar” feature…Shawn Glyde with his new CD titled “Alternate Rhythm,” followed by the band Chevere and their new one “Secret Dream.”
 Listen for cuts from these five new releases beginning at 10 PM Eastern/7 PM Pacific, right after THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN on another Premier Sunday…part of The Sunday Specials, from XM 72, Beyond Jazz.
Russ Davis
Program Director/Beyond Jazz
XM Satellite Radio
33 West 60th Street10th Floor