[JPL] Keeping the JPL free

jazzrockworld rick at jazzrockworld.com
Fri Mar 2 13:01:31 EST 2007

In principle, I believe access to the JPL should be free. If it becomes "not
free", then it might as well be an outright enterprise for commercial
purposes.

The implications of the JPL as a commercial enterprise could easily be seen
as a mechanism for isolation and that's the last thing Jazz needs nowadays.
In an effort to clarify my thoughts I did some quick research at
www.dictionary.com and looked up some key words.

These words relate to the JPL being "free"

Donate: To present as a gift to a fund or cause; contribute.

Contribute: To give or supply in common with others; give to a common fund
or for a common purpose.

Support: the activity of providing for or maintaining by supplying with
money or necessities; "his support kept the family together"; "they gave him
emotional support during difficult times"

These words relate to the JPL being "not free"

Fee: a fixed charge for a privilege or for professional services

Membership:  the state of being a member, as of a society or club.

Admission: the right or permission to enter

Price:  value measured by what must be given or done or undergone to obtain
something

I'm certainly not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but it seems pretty
obvious that charging for the JPL will effectively drive people away rather
than attract them.

Just my two cents.

BTW - I did contribute as soon as the function was made available.

Best,

Rick Calic
www.jazzrockworld.com
"The record companies are gone, it's time to make our own rules" - Jazz Rock
World