[JPL] Wynton/ ABC "This Week

Jeff Turton jturton at comcast.net
Sun Mar 4 06:11:16 EST 2007

I'm assuming that Wynton will be talking less about Jazz and more
about the current political and social situation based on his current
recording, especially given Bush's recent visit to the GUlf Coast.
Beyond that I do agree with Bobby and others and I think any one of
his suggestions for alternatives to Wynton are good ones. I would
also agree that it should be someone outside of the usual Jazz
suspects. Bobby mentioned Kareem Abdul Jabar. I find him very
persuasive when it comes to his relationship with the music. In
general though most TV producers and bookers really just go route of
least resistance. In most instances it's because of time
considerations but they also need someone who is effective in front
of a camera(which despite what some may think really is not that
easy).  I wonder if some organization like the JJA (who I'm assuming
carry some level of credibility in the media world) would be willing
to get a number of those suggested (and others) and do a video with
each discussing the music that could be distributed to the major News
outlets. It might show that there are others as articulate as Wynton
and just as persuasive. It would give the producers and bookers
others to consider that they know can talk on camera and engage an
audience, which Wynton is very good at doing.

Jeff Turton
WFNX Jazz Brunch