[JPL] Wynton/ ABC "This Week

EdBride at aol.com EdBride at aol.com
Mon Mar 5 07:54:29 EST 2007

In a message dated 3/4/2007 11:39:43 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
onemansjazz at shaw.ca writes:

Connick,  Cosby, Larry King, Eastwood, Hancock, Eddie Murphy, Harrrelson
Reeves,  Gladys Knight....fine people all.  I'm scratching my head and
thinking
why? Aren't these the faces of an aging generation -- essentially  the same as
"today's" jazz generation -- and wouldn't they just be  preaching to the
converted?

What about someone young?  And I  say this not as a "young" person,
lawdy, I wish I was.  Shouldn't we  be looking for new and younger "converts"?

Connick certainly has a broad appeal, he's a 'tweener, in terms of
generations, some of whom know him for his acting rather than his musical  skills. And
Eddie Murphy, though he's no youngster, is well-enough known to  multiple
generations that he would have credibility. I echo the suggestion of  Laurence
Fishburne.

This is a bit academic, anyway, isn't it? I mean, who is going to nominate
this spokesperson to the media at large? S/he will evolve with the times, a
process of selection as the media cast about for someone with the charisma and
knowledge necessary to hold the seat.

Ed

http://www.aol.com.