[JPL] Wynton/ ABC "This Week

Mark Rini mark at groovmarketing.com
Mon Mar 5 11:26:28 EST 2007

  Tom you might be right, but then again there are a ton of people in the public eye who claim to be jazz fans.  While they might not be able to answer the technical questions, why do they need to? If drawing in more fans is the goal I’d think keeping the technical jargon to a minimum would be best. If not, it will most certainly scare off someone that is building an interest in the music, but is a bit intimidated by it.

It’s an interesting discussion, but instead of throwing around names for another spokesman (or woman), what I think needs to be done is to encourage as many people in main stream media to speak up for the music they claim to love. On this list, we’ve thrown around the names of jazz loving actors, athletes and journalists  in the past. But when we happen to cross paths with these high profile people and the conversation turns to them digging this music, do we make sure to tell them that the music could use their advocacy and voice? If not, we probably should.

Of course, Eastwood and Cosby have been huge supporters of the music, but there are many more fans in many different arenas out there who are in the public eye and are very influential. I believe Bobby Jackson spoke to Q-Tip from Tribe Called Qwest on the air about Jazz.
The Beastie Boys have name dropped Eddie Harris in a song and sampled Jeremy Steig, Alphonse Mouzon, Ronnie Laws, Gene Harris, Idris Mohammad, and The Crusaders on their records before. Flea from the Red Hot Chili Peppers while once accepting an MTV award yelled in to the mic “go buy more Hank Mobley records” Mike Watt who is now the bassist for Iggy and The Stooges plays a A Love Supreme over the PA before all of his solo gigs and regularly plays jazz on his internet radio show.. Thurston Moore from Sonic Youth is a huge Sun Ra fan

Maurice Hogue said “What about someone Young” They are out there, we just need to encourage them to speak up.  When I was living in Hollywood there was this young kid who lived down the hall from me. We ended up talking and found out he was trying to get in to acting and I told him I worked in the music industry w/ Jazz Artists. Come to find out he was very interested in Chet Baker and wanted to know all he could about him. This guy is now one of young Hollywood’s biggest actors

I don’t think we need a singular spokesman or woman
..we need a spokesarmy.

Mark

"is a mute question any way becuase there will NEVER be a
national spokesperson and we are so fragmented if we could have such we
could never agree.  I guess the point of this is to get us to THINK.  ALOHA
Tom"

  Mark Rini
  GROOV Marketing- Northwest

  1633 N. Sumner St.