[JPL] Jazz Speakers or Army

Tom Mallison tomthejazzman at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 5 13:13:50 EST 2007

It seems to me we all should do all possible to get out ores in the water and row in the same direction.  Have you spoken to a class, civic club, been MC at a concert, spoken to a Jazz Society, book club or such about Jazz.  There are usually plenty of opportunities with groups looking for speakers.

In the last few monthis I have spoken to a Men's Church Group, Golden K Civic  Club, MCed several concerts and coming up next week will be talking to a Community College GED class of mixed ages from early 20s up to 60.

These are all good ways of getting the word out about the wonderful and historical music.  Our local paper is running a series on Louis Armstrong each week that started as part of Black History month.  I am following up on that effort with several discussions and filling in more details and sharing music from Louis Armstrong.

Look in the mirror and ask yourself what have you offered externally, or as Bobby said outside of the comfort of your nine dots to help promote the Art Form-JAZZ?  I told a group yesterday Jazz was Art for your EARS.

I would love for the JW weekly Top Fifty list to get featured in USA Today or when they have something they want to cover on Jazz that they contact JazzWeek for their informed opinion.  Not that Ed would have to do all the replies but he certainly is in a position to steer inquiries to knowledgeable JazzHeads.  In many cases I don't feel the print media really looks for rounded spokespersons on the jubject of Jazz.  If any of you have ideas of how we can get more exposure please chim in....

Aloha
Tom