[JPL] Jazz Speakers or Army

Ed Trefzger ed.trefzger at jazzweek.com
Mon Mar 5 14:30:31 EST 2007

Tom Mallison wrote:
> I would love for the JW weekly Top Fifty list to get featured in USA Today or when they have something they want to cover on Jazz that they contact JazzWeek for their informed opinion.

I'm as much a champion of anybody for jazz radio, but jazz radio by and
large has failed jazz in a big way.  A top 50 chart makes it very plain
that we provide little exposure for the music.  The top CD on the chart
each week ends up averaging fewer than four spins per week per station
-- really more like three -- and the No. 50 CD, less than one.

Chances are that the average jazz radio listener, listening 5-7 hours
per week, is not going to hear most CDs.

I used to be very optimistic that this was changing.  Sadly, it's not.
If we continue down this path, jazz radio will go from being a small
part of exposing new music to completely irrelevant.

Ed