[JPL] Re: Great independent film about Hip Hop (complete)

Arturo arturo893 at qwest.net
Mon Mar 5 17:31:37 EST 2007

Bobby Jax wrote<<<<< This is a fabulous film!  Did you see it? >>>>

Most definitely, I throughly enjoyed it. Not to be negative but my only
dissapointment, albiet slight, was the segment on the roots and creation of
hip hop was too short and too vague, I lived the era of the mid-to-late 70s
when hip hop was created so I am extremly familiar with it, however there
are millions of young folks born after 1985 who think that Tupac and Biggie
created rap and they don't know about hip hop. The ironic thing about hip
hop is that it came about as an alternative to gang violence of the South
Bronx, instead of fighting, rival gangs competed against each other through
grafitti, break dancing and dee jaying. The last element of hip hop is
emceeing or rapping as it came to be known. The founders of hip hop, seminal
figures like Kool Herc, Grandmaster Flash, and Afrika Bambatta all helped
quelled violence, in particular Bambatta who began the Almighty Universal
Zulu Nation that is a positive, educational and enlightment organization for
youth to help them overcome adverse conditions and become succesful. In the
late 80s is when hip hop began turning from a mostly positive, uplifting,
revolutionary artform to rap and its degrading, violent, sexist style that
it is today spurred on by the major labels who saw that subrban and white
consumers would buy in great quantities the contemporary minstrels that most
rap artists had become.

My favorite film scenes are the confrontation of filmmaker Byron Hurt and
the president of BET(booties ever-shaking tv) and his meeting with Russell
Simmons.

Arturo Gómez