[JPL] SICK OF MARSALIS!

Blaise Lantana blaise.lantana at riomail.maricopa.edu
Mon Mar 5 18:02:39 EST 2007

Whether you like him or not one thing that Wynton offers is name
recognition.  Jazz has VERY few stars and even fewer if you count only the
living.  Those of us already listening don't need a star to interest US, but
if we want to draw new audience or fringe listeners to jazz Wynton's name
has pull.  The larger world knows Wynton's name, and not so well that they
are sick of him.  I for one am glad to use it to expand audience.  It's not
about who is the best player, PR is a part of the equation.
When I ask listeners who tell me they listen all the time what artist they
like, they rarely have an answer, "Oh, I don't know it very well, I'm not an
expert I just like the music."
Then I'll say well how about McCoy Tyner (no) Wynton Marsalis (oh Yeah)
Dianne Reeves (no) Diana Krall (oh Yeah).
I know this is different in different markets, BH or Jae in that Carolina
pocket would get a completely different response, but out here on the front
lines I'm growing jazz fans and Wynton's name and face helps.

Blaise Lantana
Music Director
KJZZ Phoenix
Streaming @ kjzz.org