[JPL] SICK OF MARSALIS!

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Mon Mar 5 22:16:44 EST 2007

WOW!!!   If there are 3 triggers that will get you guys going - it's
Wynton, Kenny G and Norah Jones!

Actually, each one has their place. The problem stems from our
perception of where we think they ought or ought not be.  If we're
doing our job, we shouldn't have to dis anyone. Perhaps we'd do better
to provide a more attractive alternative and present it in the best
manner possible.

I don't think anyone has discussed the extensive use of the solo singer
in Wynton's latest effort.  I think it's interesting that he's
apparently decided he needs the words of a song to get his message
across. As someone mentioned recently, most folks have a hard time
relating to the abstraction of instrumental music. It's like the
difference between representative and abstract art.

Yeah, I'd be happier if WM wasn't the automatic go-to guy for all
things jazz, but major media doesn't look for alternatives...  just the
most obvious choice on a very short list.   And with his visibility and
work ethic he's probably always available.  (most of the other names
they'd think of are long passed!)

I am a little disappointed whenever someone does a radio or tv show
about music and only plays snippets and talks over them as well.   I
wonder if that's what makes jazz club audiences think it's ok to talk
over the music like it's lifestyle background to their witty dialogue.
But some people don't really get the fact that instrumental music IS a
language and if they learn to respond to it on an emotional level, they
won't need a translation!

Jim Wilke