[JPL] Drummers/TV Guests

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 6 20:57:34 EST 2007

Perhaps a strange request for help......I've been writing a book slowly over the years called "Songs For Drumset." It's mainly a collection of compositions I've written/am writing specifically for solo drumset performance. It's something I've always wanted to do but no hurry obviously. Some of the pieces are tributes to such greats as Max Roach and Philly Jo Jones. I was going through a series of videos for historical research and I came across some TV footage of Buddy Rich and Max Roach on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. Not together. I started thinking that they are the only two drummers I've ever seen on a national TV show in which they were the guests. We've seen many perform with other artists but I don't recall ever seeing any other drummer as a solo guest on a show like that. I know Sammy Davis was an amazing drummer but he of course was more known for other things. My question is has anyone ever seen any other great drummers on TV shows as special guests other
 than Max and Buddy? If so which drummer and which program? Thanks for any help.

  Jae Sinnett