[JPL] Drummers/TV Guests

Larry Appelbaum jumpmonk at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 6 21:25:53 EST 2007

>...My question is has anyone ever seen any other great drummers on TV shows
>as special guests other
>  than Max and Buddy? If so which drummer and which program? Thanks for any
>help.

Jae,

There is an Omnibus program from Dec. 2, 1956 that had a segment called
Different Drummers. It's basically Jo Jones jamming with a tabla layer named
Chatur Lal. Alastair Cook does the set-up and explains what a tala is. The
two then play Caravan and a blues with a band including Ruby Braff, Urbie
Green, Tony Scott and Walter Page.

There are many memorable segments on the old Steve Allen Show. Apropos to
your question, there's one Steve Allen pgm from 1957? with Art Blakey, Sabu
Martinez, Candido, Bobby Rosengarden (playing timpani) and Steve on piano
and bongos. There's another Steve Allen show from the same period with Buddy
Rich doing his solo "act:" singing, tap dancing and playing an unaccompanied
drum solo. There's also a great series from 1971 on National Educational
Television called Soul. One episode had Max and M'Boom (the series also
included Horace Silver, Lee Morgan, Rahsaan, and a group led by Lucky
Thompson w/Freddie Waits). This is all just the tip of the iceberg. There's
much, much more.

Larry Appelbaum
WPFW-FM