[JPL] “From the Plantation to the Penitentiary” - to The Jazz Standard?

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 6 21:33:55 EST 2007

Interesting ..... the DownBeat reviewer (James Hale) gave it 1 star - 1
star!   I'll leave it at that and you can read the review and take it
up with DownBeat.  We'll be watching to see what happens in
JazzTimes....

Meanwhile the same issue of DB (April, just out) has four reviewers in
The Hot Box all giving four star reviews to Dave Douglas' Live at Jazz
Standard, which is available by download only.  I've heard some of it,
and I think you should check it out  - it's intriguing and inviting
music and a lot of it!  All twelve sets played that week at Jazz
Standard were recorded and made available for download - how's that for
confidence in your band?

If you've seen his band live, you know how they turn on an audience and
their audiences usually include a lot of young people.  I'm adding some
tunes from the sets reviewed in DB.  www.greenleafmusic.com

Jim Wilke
Jazz After Hours, PRI
www.jazzafterhours.org