[JPL] "From the Plantation to the Penitentiary" - to The Jazz Standard?

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 7 00:58:02 EST 2007

Bob,

Dave Douglas Quintet Live at Jazz Standard is available only as a
download from greenleafmusic.com .   Check with Jim Tuerk for more info
  - jim at greenleafmusic.com .  It's an interesting project, issued and
distributed the same week it was recorded. They're complete sets as
played in the club, as close as it gets to live jazz.  I think that
contributes to the immediacy and spontaneity of the project - like
Miles at The Blackhawk or The Plugged Nickel or Monk at The It Club.  I
have the first sets from Dec 6 & 8 - the same ones reviewed in
JazzTimes.

The band sounds great, Dave Douglas, Donny McCaslin, Uri Caine, James
Genus & Clarence Penn are all at the top of their game.  Pour a cold
one and turn down the lights. Lemme tell ya, it'll hold your attention.
This feels more like real jazz than anything I've heard for a while.

Jim