[JPL] Jazz RADIO

Jeff Turton jturton at comcast.net
Wed Mar 7 09:31:53 EST 2007

Hey Eric,

Here's a short answer. I approach the 6 hour block for the show as if
it were one part of a full 18 hour day. You are correct with regards
to total spins for the month but because we are a destination show
for the station a portion of the audience tunes in specifically for
the Jazz Brunch (though more than 50% of the audience are regular FNX
format listeners) so the exposure for those spins is pretty focused.
I structure each hour similar to way the station structures each
hour. I also take the entire block and program the flow from hour to
hour based on the time of the morning. The audience is in transition
during 6AM and after 11AM. The audience at 8 AM is different than 10
but most of those from 8 are still listening past 11AM. I play a
minimum of 8 tracks/hr (though I prefer 10) and have 6- 8 minutes of
commercials per hour broken in to two stop sets (generally around :
33-:35 & :48 - :50, :16 -:18 is a rolling break, so a stretch of
35-40 minutes with no commercials) . I choose a minimum of two tracks
per CD up to 4 tracks. So you are correct in noticing more than one
track per disc. There is a minimum of 2 hours between plays. Those
focus tracks will remain in rotation for at least 4 weeks before I
start adding different tracks. 5 releases per hour will fall into
this rotation (depending on releases maybe as many as 7) so that
means there are at least 15 new releases at a time getting 2 spins/
show and yes 8/month. Probably 85% of the releases I play are new or
recurrent. While it might not seem like it, there's a fair amount of
flexibility in the show to adapt to what's happening musically in
town and for other things that come up. Mike Adams and Andy Cook
handle the early part of the show but I am programming 5-7 tracks/
hour for them, they can do whatever they want with the rest of each
hour. Both have been in the business for many years and are quite
knowledgeable with regards to the music. Programming a full day would
obviously require some tweaking but the structure would be the same.
Personally I would think 10 spins per day (Mon - Fri) for your Top 5
or Top 10  releases is not unreasonable for a full time format. So
those are the basics. I hope this answers your question

If anyone is interested they can check out the current and past
playlists : http://www.fnxradio.com/1/jocksshows/jock.asp?id=26

Jeff Turton
WFNX Jazz Brunch