[JPL] "From the Plantation to the Penitentiary" - to The JazzStandard?

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 7 12:59:38 EST 2007

Thanks for clearing that up, Jae.  That sounded really weird to me,
too, but I decided that's the way it's written for two reasons.  It
occurs more than once in the song, and it's so obvious it couldn't have
slipped by without notice by WM and everyone else involved.  ergo, it
must have been written that way.   It was just too strange an interval
to have been unintended.  I backed it up and listened to it it several
times before I decided that was no accident (pun intended).

I think her intonation is quite good and I wouldn't be surprised if she
struggled to hit that note as written.  Apparently done for effect, it
sure doesn't "sound right" in the musical context.  If I could be
permitted one cavil, her voice seems a bit sweet and pleasant for the
gritty message... e.g. "pimps & hustlers ... I ain't your bitch I ain't
your ho and public niggerin' has got to go."   She has a pleasing voice
and I'd like to hear more from her.

Overall, I think it's the best of his recent CDs.  I'm playing it, but
I'm also prepared to field response from listeners who think she hit a
clinker in that first song.

You know what else is weird?   Weird is the only word I can think of
where e comes before i and it's not after a c   -   or c# .
pa-dum-CRASH!

Jim

PS,  I apologize if I offended you in my last post, Jae.    A little
friendly ribbing is sometimes misunderstood in email.  I shouldn't do
it and I regret it if you felt it was a personal attack.  It certainly
was NOT intended as such.

JW