[JPL] "From the Plantation to the Penitentiary" - to The JazzStandard?

Lazaro Vega wblv.wblu.fm at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 13:04:56 EST 2007

Frankly I've been missing the outrage from the jazz community for
certain aspects of the political/social situation the country finds
itself in. While "Strange Fruit" may have been an aberration in Billie
Holiday's output, it was a powerful one. Louis Armstrong's "Black and
Blue" was an important number in his repertoire and he certainly was
outspoken during the unrest of the civil rights era. Of course then
there's Mingus "Fables of Faubus," Max Roach's incredible music of
that era, Sonny Rollins "The Freedom Suite," Archie Shepp's varous
poetical/musical "statements," and, of course, Ellington ("My
People!"). Now that this record has come on the scene...actually the
first time I played it on the radio it segued with John Carter's
"Castles of Ghana."