[JPL] "From the Plantation to the Penitentiary" - to TheJazzStandard?

Blaise Lantana blaise.lantana at riomail.maricopa.edu
Wed Mar 7 17:58:10 EST 2007

This is definitely an interesting CD.

The show they did on tour was a little less edgy than the CD and the singer
was amazing.
If you heard her live you'd know she is pitch perfect. To me that voice just
has an early Ella flavor to it.  I thought it was an interesting choice for
Wynton as well, I expected him to go for a more gritty bluesy voice, but she
is a little jewel and very unassuming.  When I spoke with her she was just
totally grateful to have the opportunity to play with the guys and was
always trying to learn more from them and to keep up.  She did an amazing
job singing and scatting on "Them There Eyes".
Blaise Lantana
Music Director
KJZZ Phoenix
Streaming at kjzz.org

"I think her intonation is quite good and I wouldn't be surprised if she
struggled to hit that note as written.  Apparently done for effect, it
sure doesn't "sound right" in the musical context.  If I could be
permitted one cavil, her voice seems a bit sweet and pleasant for the
gritty message... e.g. "pimps & hustlers ... I ain't your bitch I ain't
your ho and public niggerin' has got to go."   She has a pleasing voice
and I'd like to hear more from her."

Jim

Delivered to: blaise.lantana at riomail.maricopa.edu