[JPL] Royalty-Rate Hike Alarms Web Broadcasters

Lazaro Vega wblv.wblu.fm at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 01:34:16 EST 2007

"the RIAA has nowhere near that
strength, yet we seem to be willing to play by their rules."

They made their rules law by an act of congress and the penalties for
not playing by them are too steep to risk. The law is too far in the
direction of over regulation and needs to be calibrated to the reality
of non-profit, music driven programming. You want us or you want sex
and violence? Because if we're gone that's about all that's left. Yes,
their rules may be perceived as the legal equivalent of a prohibition
against spitting on the sidewalk, that is, not enforced. It's the "or
not" which leads to trying to follow the spirit of the regs.

Has anyone heard directly from NPR about this?