[JPL] E. Sanon pronunciation

Timothy Orr timorr at mindspring.com
Thu Mar 8 10:53:57 EST 2007

Hi Greg;

You mean Jennifer Sanon. It's rhymes with cannon. She's from Miami, attended the New World School for the Arts, and then went to Juilliard. She attended the Brubeck Institute's Summer Jazz Colony in 2003 as the vocalist when I was Associate Director...she had also won the Essentially Ellington Competition award that year for outstanding vocalist + the DownBeat Student Award. She was 17 at the Colony. I guess Wynton heard her at the Ellington Competition, then she went to Juilliard--I think she's only in her third year there-- and the rest is history. She had been singing all her life, but had only been focused to jazz for two years at the time she won the Ellington Award. I haven't heard Wynton' new CD.

Tim

Timothy Orr
Marketing and Public Relations Associate
Monterey Jazz Festival
9699 Blue Larkspur Lane, Suite 204
Monterey, CA 93940
timorr at montereyjazzfestival.org
www.montereyjazzfestival.org

MJF Office: 831-373-3366 x252
Direct Line: 510-652-1122
Cell Phone: 510-282-8555

Hi gang,

What is the proper pronunciation for Wynton's vocalist, Elizabeth SANON?

does it rhyme with "cannon"
does it rhyme with "salon"
or is it something else?

Thanks!