[JPL] Special Features on XM 72 Beyond Jazz

davispro at nyc.rr.com davispro at nyc.rr.com
Thu Mar 8 11:53:18 EST 2007

XM 72…BEYOND JAZZ/WEEKLY FEATURES   (12-18 March, 2006)

This Monday, March 12th, we’ll present another edition of our special feature…MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS! on Beyond Jazz featuring an hour of one of the most popular vocalists in modern jazz on the very day of his birthday. We’re talking about the charismatic AL JARREAU! You’ll hear the story of his most interesting life and career and a full hour of his wonderful music as we celebrate the birthday of one of America’s most beloved artists. Listen Monday at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 11 PM Eastern/8 PM Pacific. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS every Monday at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday nights at 11 PM Eastern/8 PM Pacific, and this week it’s AL JARREAU!

This week enjoy another edition of our show JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION! hosted by Michelle Sammartino.   What’s it all about?  Well here’s how Michelle describes what you’ll hear on the show…”anything with that "jamband" jazz, acid jazz, brass band, swamp boogie, funk influenced, booty movin' feel that ya just can't hear anywhere else.” Listen for JAMMIN’ JAZZ three times each week…Tuesday night at 9P Eastern-6P Pacific, Thursday morning at 9A/Eastern-6A Pacific, and Sunday at 7P/Eastern-4P Pacific. It’s JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION with Michelle Sammartino and this week, Michelle plays not only Jammin’ supergroups Galactic and Garage A Trois, but solo work from members of those bands, we’re talking Charlie Hunter, Mike Dillon and Stanton Moore!

This week it’s LIVE FROM NEW YORK featuring MARC CARY & CHRISTIAN SCOTT on LIVE @ BJ'S! Every Wednesday night at 8 PM Pacific/11 PM Eastern and Sunday at 8 PM Eastern/5 PM Pacific you can spend an hour in the world's only imaginary modern jazz club, BJ's, for rare live performances by the biggest stars of Modern Jazz.  You'll hear music you can't hear anywhere but on XM, and this week we’ll head to The Big Apple for live sets by two of the great, up-and-coming artists in MOJA, pianist MARC CARY and his trio live at City Hall Park at last year’s J&R Downtown Musicfest and recent Grammy-nominee trumpeter CHRISTIAN SCOTT and his young electric band playing New Orleans & Miles Davis classics as well as songs from his Grammy-nominated debut release “Rewind That.” It’s LIVE FROM NEW YORK featuring MARC CARY & CHRISTIAN SCOTT this week’s addition of LIVE @ BJ'S!

IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION!  Every Friday we present an exclusive Beyond Jazz feature that focuses on the moment in jazz history when the music became electric and all the musical influences of the world blended with jazz to create the Fus ion Era. Each hour beginning at 7 AM Eastern/4 AM Pacific until midnight Eastern/9 PM Pacific you’ll hear a classic fusion piece and get the mojo behind this controversial era in jazz history. IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION on XM 72, BEYOND JAZZ.

THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN! This weekend Beyond Jazz presents another edition of "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN!” Join the newest voice on Beyond Jazz, award-winning presenter, producer and writer Mark Ruffin in our studios in Chicago as he covers the many aspects of the world of modern jazz from his perspective.  Listen twice each weekend for THE MOJA REPORT , Saturday mornings at 11 AM Eastern/8 AM Pacific, just before Words & Music begins, and Sunday nights at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, part of the Sunday Specials. It’s "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN,” and on this week’s edition Mark focuses on "New 21st Century Fusion," featuring new music from Robin Eubanks, Marc Cary, Hiromi, Second Movement and Soweto Kinch.

On Saturday, March 17th, Beyond Jazz presents another edition of “WORDS & MUSIC” as we focus on another of the up and coming players in jazz today with a special presentation we call “MARC CARY ON THE KEYBOARDS.” Recently Russ Davis took the subway down to Tribeca in NYC to the Knitting Factory for the Winter Jazzfest to hear one of the most talked about players, composers, bandleaders and producers in New York today, the multi-talented keyboardist Marc Cary.  Before his set, Marc took the time to talk about what’s up with him, his career, jazz in general and how he’s bringing the new sound of Harlem to the world.   You’ll hear his thoughts followed by his music including solo work and collaborations with Russell Gunn,  Stefon Harris & Blackout, with Chance Miller on Abstrakt Blak and his production and playing with The Masters Of Groove. It all starts at Noon and lasts through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific).  It’s “MARC CARY ON THE KEYBOARDS,” this week’s edition of “WORDS & MUSIC.”

Every Sunday it’s the EMAIL REPLY HOUR…from 6-7 PM Eastern/3-4 PM Pacific, Russ Davis spends an hour responding to email messages by playing reques ted songs, answering listener questions and reading listener comments that have been emailed to him at beyondjazz at xmradio.com.

Russ Davis
Program Director
Beyond Jazz
XM Satellite Radio