[JPL] Under 40...

Music-EastWest musicew736 at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 8 11:56:04 EST 2007

Andy...

I also believe a lack of attention in hiring younger radio talent, under 40, especially in public radio needs to change.  Stations who program jazz,  should look at hiring younger staff if they choose to focus on reaching a wider audience.....

I admit I could be wrong about the age issue, relating to my previous experiences, but then again, I don't hear a lot of younger radio talents out there hosting jazz shows.  I think with Mike Adams and I, working with Jeff, are the exception, but they're needs to be more us that should be given that opportunity.  Heck, weren't we all young at some point in our lives?

I mentioned this 5 years ago with similar concerns. Most of the people I spoke to in my home town (San Francisco/Bay Area) at that time said no to new types of jazz because their afraid of losing their "old audience". They seem to have this fear of "new music", "new jazz"....Groups like: Jazza Nova, St. Germaine, New Jazz, Weekend Players etc.....

I have always been an advocate of "incorporating" younger "jazz" music with the new but no one seems to "get it" ....so, here we are in the state were in and I quite frankly, feel it's too late.  Most (not all) "programmers" would have to "change their way of thinking" "today" and that's just not going to happen. As "that generation" "dies off" so will Jazz and if "they" would just "open up" and put down their egos...jazz may have had hope.

For a lack of better description...jazz is now surviving (like it's own generation) in a "hospice" situation and the days are now numbered.  So, I guess it's up to "the younger generation" to "keep it alive" but I'm afraid we're way beyond that now.

Thank god for websites and the internet !!!

I also believe a lack of attention in hiring younger radio talent, under 40, especially in public radio needs to change.  Stations who program jazz,  should look at hiring younger staff if they choose to focus on reaching a wider audience.

I admit I could be wrong about the age issue, relating to my previous experiences, but then again, I don't hear a lot of younger radio talents out there hosting jazz shows.  I think with Mike Adams and I, working with Jeff, are the exception, but they're needs to be more us that should be given that opportunity.  Heck, weren't we all young at some point in our lives?

Andy Cook